Friday, November 14, 2008

A visitor from the past....

I don't know why, but I feel so compelled to write about the visitor that we had last night.

I am sure that many people know about how Andy and I met, but for those who don't, here is a story for you. Just over eight years ago I met a guy named Jeremy at a bar-b-que. We went out a couple of times but nothing ever came of it. About one year later I literally bumped into the same Jeremy at a Blockbuster in Centerville, Utah. We were talking and making some small talk when Bush walked around the corner. Andy pretty much stopped in his tracks when he saw me, you could tell he was surprised to see me. Andy walked away thinking that I was just another one of Jer's girls and returned a few minutes later just as my friend Sunni and I were telling Jeremy that we would be going to Grey's River to go camping and do a little fishing for the weekend. You should have seen the look on Andy's face, he lit up. Then Andy and I started talking about fishing, dogs, and outdoor stuff that we liked. It was a fun and exciting conversation. I left the Blockbuster that day excited and curious as to what was going to happen.

That night Jer and Andy called and asked if Sunni and I would go and hang out. We went over to Jer's house to play pool. That is really how it all started. I started dating Jeremy, but Andy was always there, whether on the group date with us or just in my mind. This continued on for a few months.
I will always remember the night that I was asked the question that would change my future forever. Sunni and I went over to Jer's house to watch a movie, of course Andy was there. Those boys were two peas in a pod, the best of friends that I have ever seen. Jeremy ended up falling asleep during the movie, and when it ended I decided to just go instead of waking him up, and also offered Andy a ride home, which was conveniently on my way home. During that car ride Sunni and Andy were talking to me about my relationship with Jeremy. Why we were dating, if we were "together" or not, hand holding (Jeremy had weird rules, one of which was about hand holding), things like that. Then I was asked of Jeremy was someone that I would marry. I didn't know the answer to that and it got me thinking. Sunni followed up with "why would you date someone you couldn't marry?" Very good question if you ask me.

My mind was racing, thinking all sorts of things about dating, marriage, kissing, hand holding, feet, but most of all Andy. If I were to end things with Jer, it would be ending things with Andy too. I had tears in my eyes, and at that moment I knew that I loved Andy.

The next few days were some of the craziest days of my life. Jeremy and I both agreed that we were going nowhere. I remember feeling sad when he pulled out of the Sawatzki driveway, I was going to miss him, but it still felt right. Sunday morning I called Andy before church and told him that Jeremy and I would not be dating anymore and that I was going to miss him. I told Andy that if he ever wanted to hang out to call me. This is probably the most daring thing I have ever done in my life, it was so straight forward. What did I have to lose? Andy called me later that night and we have been together ever since.

Anyway, last night Jeremy came and stayed the night with us, he had an interview for residency at the Cleveland clinic and Andy offered him a bed here because we are so close to downtown Cleveland. Having Jeremy here really got me thinking about how meeting him truly changed my life.

To Jer: I am sorry again if I ever hurt your feelings. Thank you for introducing me to my husband. I know now after seeing you and Andy together last night that you will always be his best friend. Thank you for coming and staying at our house and playing swords, the kids will forever love you for that, and I hope we see you and your family again soon.

To Andy: Thank you for following your heart and for loving me and for giving us a chance, even though it meant a little awkwardness with you and your best friend. Also, you need to be better and keeping in touch with all of your friends, call or e-mail when you think of them, that is what you would tell me. I love you.


These are two of my favorite picstures of Andy and Jeremy at our wedding 2001 and at the airport when Andy was leaving for his mission to Mongolia.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Shay you would have known that I would comment on this. That is a great story. I am glad for what happened with you and those two crazies (haha, jk). Even though I wasn't in the picture when all this happened and you weren't there when I was, this story brings back so many memories....mostly good...no... great ones, some not so great but still pretty good. Andy is lucky to have you and you are lucky to have him. I miss those days so much and think about them often. Probably one of the best times in my single adult life. I am so glad that I was able to stay friends with both of them, but even more so with Andy and was able to become friends with you. You truly are a wonderful person! Love you!

Coil Fam said...

...and they lived happily after. I have always known this story, but it is good to be reminded, because it puts into perspective the past, present and future. By remembering the past, it helps remember the hand of the Lord is always with us in the present and thus will bless our future. Oops! that sounded an awful lot like a Seminary lessong. Anyway, love the post and the fun memories that accompany it.

Okie Bloxhams said...

What a neat story-I never have heard how you guys met, i just realized. Andy looks like a baby in that mission picture. ;o)

andrea said...

FEET! lol I love this post. I love you for being so open about this stuff. I am glad you met Andy, even if it was sort of awkward at the time...you guys are perfect together.

Summer said...

First let me start out by saying that I have never seen a picture of Andy with hair, I really almost started laughing. I had to have JD come in and look. Good times!

So I read this story and it makes me so sad that I wasn't there and Sunni was. We have been there through so many important milestones and just because of petty and stupid things and drama I missed out on one of the most inportant times in your life. I am so glad that you have Andy and you guys have such an amazing marriage and family. I am so grateful that you are a part of my life and I love you guys SO much! Just know we miss and love you and even though I wasn't there for the beginning, I'll always be there in the future! Love you, miss you.