Monday, November 24, 2008

Real or Fake, that is the question....

So, this morning Andy and I were looking at his schedule discussing when we would be going to get our Christmas tree. We usually go the day after Thanksgiving but his schedule is crazy, so who knows. This conversation led to one about always having a real tree and how it smells so good and how it is so fun to go and cut it down ourselves. I have heard horror stories about real trees, bringing home squirrels (maybe that was just the Christmas Vacation movie, which I love), spider nests, sap, and so on. But to me it's worth the risk, it's just all a part of the season. So what do you all think? I know that there are people out there who have fake trees and go fake for their own reasons and I am just curious what they are. There is something a little funny to me, that just made me have a little giggle to myself, about going to the attic to get the Christmas tree, I can see it now. It also brings back memories about my Grandma Ruth's house, I loved when she got her fake tree out of the attic, it was so fun, and in it's own way it smelled good too. But, I just need a little more anticipation than that and I am so grateful to Andy and his love for the real thing and the tradition that we have created together.

6 comments:

Coil Fam said...

GO REAL!!!!! Nothing but the best for the Coil fam. Vacuuming needles for weeks after Christmas, sap on the carpet, getting poked by the dry points, hiding the bald side against the wall, arguing over the best tree, they are all part of the holiday and I love every second of it.

Summer said...

So funny, we have been wondering this same thing. Real trees are so dang expensive. Even though we have never cut down our own tree we have always gone real. I think this year we'll go for fake. I don't want Brax to eat needles, and he totally will!

The McClellan Family said...

So I have a fake tree, and the reason I love it is because it is big and full and beautiful! But the reason we bought a fake one is because we lived in the Hotel and couldn't bring a real one in! One of these years we will do a real one though! Hey what is your email address? did you guys get the email about grandma coil's 80th birthday? email me at andrewjorelle@gmail.com and I will forward it on!

Ross & Stacie said...

We decided to go fake last year. Well I put the tree up yesterday and let Sadee play around with some of the decorations and three brances broke. We just might have to go with real again. There is nothing like that smell!! We also have wood floors so there will be no needles stuck in the carpet for months.

Chris and Aubrey said...

Last year we had two real trees and the house smelled so good. This year I am going for the tallest real tree I can find for the front entry. Hopefull 12' or taller. There is nothing like bringing a bit of god's creation in for the holidays. I also like the ones that aren't perfect. The branches are bent different ways, and are all different lengths. They seem to have a story.

Sarah said...

We love the real thing! Though for the past several years I have been trying to talk myself and Jef into an artificial one. My reasons are thus: I like the tree to be up at least from the first of Dec thru the 7th of Jan. A real one is SO dead by the time Jan hits! Ok, well, that is the main reason.

But, I can't find a fake one that looks real and not like pipe cleaners. I have Yankee Candles that smell like a real tree so I've convinced myself it is ok to go fake. However, we have not yet and I love the experience of cutting our own tree, bringing nature into our home and reflecting on God's creations for the month of Dec.

If you go artificial, it just means you create other memories and experiences. What is important to you and yours?