Friday, October 31, 2008

Porter has noo-MOH-nyah

I just got home from the hospital where Porter was admitted over night for pneumonia. Yesterday morning when he woke up he was acting very tired, clingy, and he would not eat. A few hours later he had a fever and after I gave him tylenol he fell asleep. I noticed that he was not taking full breaths, like he was in pain, and when I asked if something hurt he pointed to his tummy and side. I immediatly thought his appendix was going to burst because that runs in Andy's famiy. After a few more hours and more fast breathing I called our doctor and took him in. The doctor immediatly could hear in Porter's lungs that he had pneumonia. I was shocked, and even more shocked when he said he needed to go to the hospital to be admitted and have an IV. Porter was not getting enough oxygen into his lungs. Andy and the kids and I drove straight to the hospital to admit him. He was so scared and yet he was trying so hard to be brave and not cry. When I was sitting with him in the waiting room while we waited for a wheel chair to take him up to the pediatric floor Porter broke down crying. I asked him what was wrong and he said "I'm going to miss you." Tears flooded my eyes but I felt like I had to hold them in to be strong for Porter. I stayed at the hospital a little bit longer but it got late very quick, the girls were tired and room 4012 at St. Johns West Shore is not the place for our whole family of 5. It killed me to leave and be home all night, but I knew he was safe and in good hands with his dad by his side.


We told Porter he was so lucky to have an E.T. finger.


He was very careful with the hand that had the IV, he kept it rested on his chest.


The machine that measured the amount of oxygen he was getting.


Andy carrying the girls in to go and visit P-man.


Carlee had lots of questions for Andy about the hospital, what was happening to Porter, and where you go to get a treat.


Tessa in the elevator, we had the kids wear their Halloween costumes to the hospital to help make Porter feel excited and get his mind off of being sick.


I love the hospital gowns for kids, they are so cute, and I love the underwear shot as he was getting his stickers off of the table that he got for being so good while they took his x-ray.


Porter was doing so well at lunch today that they told him he could order anything he wanted off of the menu. He chose chicken fingers, fries, applesauce, fruit, and water.

Feeling silly with the friut.

He watched so much TV in the short amount of time he was there, movie after movie after movie.

Porter was so excited to call Andy and tell him he was going home!!

Porter and I being silly with the camera while we waited for "transport" to take us down to the car.

Even though you cannot see it on his face, he loved riding in the wheel chair, it made him feel extra special.

Porter was amazing through this whole thing. Even when he was so scared and crying, he did everything he was supposed to. He amazes me more and more everyday. He is doing very well now at home and we are so grateful that it was only one night and that he is okay.

7 comments:

Ross & Stacie said...

Hey P-Man we are glad you are feeling better. We love you!!!

Coil Fam said...

How can someone so sick be so cute? I loved the back of Carlee's costume. I can't wait to see the front. And Tessa, Oh my gosh! so cute!!!!!
Porter - Grandpa and I love you and we are glad you are better. I can't wait to see you in 4 days.

Unknown said...

Oh no! That's too bad but it's good that he's out now. And you should be proud of yourself for being such an observant mom. Get better Porter!

andrea said...

We missed you so bad tonight! I love the photos..you got a couple really really good shots! I am proud! I am glad he is home and getting better! Sad that Andy had to spend some of his "day off" at another hospital. I'll call you tomorrow!

Jon and Tamara said...

I'm so glad he's okay too. Did he have a cold first or anything like that? What a cute little patient and I love the costumes on the kids to cheer him up. So cute. You are a great mother, Shay.

Mike and Em said...

Shay! What the heck!!! Where did that come from? Is he okay now? This will be a halloween to remember! I hope that you are hanging in there. Love ya!

Leymaster Family said...

I am so glad Porter is feeling better. It is so hard to have your child in the hospital, but thanks to great pediatric units they can make it fun...