Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Holding in the tears....

It is so hard to believe that my little boy is now attending Kindergarten. As I stood to the side in the classroom while the teacher was introducing herself, I saw Porter smiling and loving every minute of being in that classroom, and I started thinking about how big he was, how good he is at listening and following directions, about how smart he is, and how he is so ready to learn. It is hard to think about how we have come so far, from the moment that Andy and I decided to try to get pregnant, him being born and in the NICU, him learning how to walk and run, learning how to go Potty, how to brush his teeth, how to write his name, and now how to go to a big school all by himself. Seeing Porter on the colored carpet brought me to tears a few times, making me realize how precious time is with my little ones. I now know and completely understand why parents are so emotional about huge life events, we just a major one today. I am so excited for our future and to watch our kids grow up, but at the same time I wish time would slow down, it is definitely something I take advantage of.

8-24-09 181



8-24-09 182

8-24-09 186

6 comments:

Coil Fam said...

OH, Porter! When did you get so big? When did your dad get old enough to have a boy as big as you? When did time start spinning out of control, leaving me wondering why everyone around me is getting older, but me? Grandpa and I are so VERY proud of what an amazing young man you are.

Erin said...

Love his Superman backpack! Porter is such a sweetheart, he will do fabulous in Kindergarten. Good luck p-man!

Chris and Aubrey said...

The first day is such a good day. They are so excited I don't think I have ever cried. I was too excited for them. Love the pic of Andy and P-man. Chicago looked like fun. We should go there next summer. I want to see the giant bean. Wish we were there. Love Aubs

andrea said...

He looks huge! Oh I miss him :( You wrote that so well, you know I get that! I almost got all emotional just thinking about it again. You are such a great mom.

The Coombs Family said...

Oh Shay...I second everything you said! I am so excited for Porter! Although it has been TOO long we still think of you guys often. I still remember Porters first birthday like it was yesterday. We love you guys! (Chase says to tell porter "hi" for him.)

Jon and Tamara said...

Oh my goodness! What a grown up little man. You are such a good mom and you have taught him well. Enjoy the time focusing on your other kids while he's at school and then him when he returns home each day. Those times are special.