Sunday, August 9, 2009

Dead Last....

Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life, sounds dramatic, but true. It hurts so much to not finish a triathlon especially when I have done them before. Oh and the not finishing part is what I did. I got through the 1/4 mile swim, made it through the 16 mile bike, but got lost on the last mile of my trail run. Let me explain, I ran down a huge hill and then back up and as I am running up I ran in the middle of a campground, which was not unusual for this trail, the only thing is that there were no signs. I kept on running, dead end, ran again, and found some girls who said "Oh look there a racer" so I turned and asked them if they had seen any arrows and their response was "yeah and the guy in the truck just came and picked them up!". I was fighting back the tears while I asked if I could use their cell phone and I called Andy who of course did not answer. So here I am lost, trying not to cry, and find my way. Finally the guy in the truck drives by and picks me up and offers to take me back to extra mile or so I had run and out me back on the trail. Still trying not to cry I said no, I knew at that point I was dead last, even though he told me there were 3 people behind me, I never saw those people finish.

It is such a terrible feeling, even though I finished most of it and ran more of a distance than I was supposed to, I didn't get to cross the "finish line". Instead I had to walk up behind Andy and the kids and Anne and Dave and pretend to be strong and act like it didn't bother me. They were shocked and felt terrible. Me, I just wanted to leave and not look anybody in the eye for fear the tears would come flowing. How could I not finish, it's so easy, but some how I managed.

Oh the other hand I am so proud of my friend Anne who finished her first triahlon and got 3rd place in her age division. She totally rocked it and did an amazing job, I am just waiting to hear her say that she wants to do another one.

I want to say thank you to Andy for being so supportive of me, fixing my birthday present so that I could ride it during the race, and being so understanding about all of the emotions I was having yesterday, and most of all, for taking the kids to the outdoor store and letting me have a two hour nap. I love you Andy and I look forward to seeing you do this race next year.

8-9-09 024

8-9-09 031

8-9-09 041

8-9-09 051

8-9-09 054

8-9-09 075

7 comments:

Chris and Aubrey said...

You still finished. Even though you did not cross the line you went furthur than anyone else. Next year we will do it together. I am so proud of you.

Candace said...

I'm sorry that it didn't turn out the way you had planned, but you accomplished so much & i think you should be proud of yourself! i know so many people around you are super proud of you. you are loved! be proud of yourself as well. :)

Leymaster Family said...

Okay first of all, you were not dead last! I saw people come after you. Just think you ran 2 extra miles, got picked up, rode in a car, put your flip-flops on and still beat some people! :> You were absolutely awesome! I am so proud of you! Thanks so much for talking me into doing one! Lets get my knee back in order and I am up for another!

Erin said...

Shay, you Rock!! Someday you will look back on this and just laugh. I look up to you so much for doing these races though. It takes so much endurance. I remember at the fourth of July race a couple of years ago D and I were so behind everyone that we didn't really know where to go and then they started the next race before we were even finished. D was pregnant and I don't have a clue as to what my excuse was, I'm just a wimp:)

Lauralee said...

I bet you did feel really bad. I know I would have. That's hard. BUT, I am so impressed that you do Triathalons. The sound of it is enough to scare me. You really are amazing!

Unknown said...

Shay,
Isn't that just the way life works. You have a plan yet the road to life puts you on a detour while its under construction for another surprise!
Your children will remember those splashings and their mother DOING not TRYING!!! You go for whatever you choose n' put into what you may. You just never know whats around the corner...but the love of your family! Thank goodness for that! Glama

Unknown said...

I'M THERE IN 13 DAYS & I CAN'T WAIT TO JUST PLAY FORT WITH MY GRANDBABIES!
I am looking forward to egg coloring,dipping chocolate bananas, the pool, the slide, family friends that I will have the pleasure to meet, someonres, the lake, coloring,church,laughter and uncountable memories.
Thank heaven I am finally going to hold Miss Tessa May!, and the entire family!
Love you all
Glama