Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It was time....

We did it, we finally bought a new car, well not brand new, but new enough for me. "The Van" was dying and it was going quick. We knew it was coming but didn't expect it to be so sudden. I had a very hard time letting it go at the dealer ship and took many looks in the rear view as we pulled out of the parking lot. I had one of those moments where all of the memories we made in "The Van" were there in the mirror, like when we moved Porter to a big seat and Carlee was big enough to face forward. I also saw Kansas in the mirror and remembered when I was driving through Dodge wondering what the smell was and everyone told that is just how Kansas smells. I also saw Grandpa Bush pulling away in the van after he took us to breakfast the day we left Kansas. I also heard Grandma Great telling me to stop adjusting my seat so much, even though I never did. I had a vision of Caleb being stuffed in the back in between two car seats. Then another vision of the time I drove it to Montana by myself with the kids to see my Units and calling Andy about some weird noises it was making. And then another great vision, when "The Van" took us Disneyland with my Cali fam. I wish so bad I had a vision of the day Andy was pulled over in the metro parks because the police officer thought that he had the kids in a cage (ask Andy fot that story). I could go on and on with memories that were made for me in that van, but I will stop there. I am sitting here now wondering what memories other people had of the van. In summary of "The Van", I am so grateful to have had it. It helped our family out so much and I don't know how we would have made it financially without that two-toner. It got us where we needed to go without fail, even when we doubted it. So thank you to the wonderful Grandma Great who gave it to us. It really was a huge part of our lives.

On to new and exciting things, the new van.

11-3-2010 004

11-3-2010 002

I love the Sienna and cannot believe that it is ours. I felt so weird driving it yesterday, kind of like I don't deserve such a nice car. I only see my self driving the Voyager and even when I am driving the Sienna, I feel like it is the Voyager, if that makes any sense. When we went to test drive it on Monday night I had a little alone time in the Sienna while Andy was crunching numbers with the salesman. I sat in the way back seat to see what it would be like for P and C and a wave of emotion came over me. I was just so grateful to even be sitting in it and when the thought of owning it came into my mind, I just couldn't take it. I immediately pulled myself together so mister sales guy wouldn't see that I was wearing my hopes on my sleeve. So, a super long story made short, it worked out and we now own a Sienna and I love it. The kids love it to and cannot get over the automatic doors, windows in the back, and the sunroof (last night on our family drive we had to have it open regardless of the super low temps).

I would also like to take a moment and thank my Dad who spent HOURS on the phone with Andy and I checking cars and steering us in the right direction. We would have been lost without him. So THANK YOU Dad, I love you, miss you and Julie a ton (COME SEE US!!).

7 comments:

The Perks of Life! said...

Man, too too bad we weren't in the van when we hit the deer! I am so happy for you! You so deserve the new sienna and I'm happy everything worked out. As for "the van"... I remember Grandpa backing up for what seemed like just a centimeter to get the van perfectly alligned with the ball that always hung from the garage ceiling. I also remember bringing a turtle back from the farm in the van. It peed on the way home in the van and Grandpa wasn't too happy. I never saw the turtle after that. I remember the smell of the van also. Wow how this makes me miss Grandpa. Cute post. Thanks for sharing the memories. Caleb and I will have to come out again so we can cruise in the new van. Miss you guys!!

Coil Fam said...

I love it! I love the color and the fact that it is a Sienna. I know you will create many new fun memories in it for you and the kids.

The van was a blessing in your life. It met your needs and I will always be grateful to my dad for having taken such good care of it that it would continue to run as long as it did. I am grateful to Grandma Great that she loved you enough to let you use it.

I drove that van thousands of miles, especially after daddy died. I took my mom to Wichita for her cancer treatments in the van. I rode in it down to the farm with my dad. I brought my mom back to UT and then took her back to KS many, many times after my dad died.

I will always remember riding in the backseat of the van from Dodge down to the cemetery in Minneola for daddy's burial. In fact, the last time I was with my dad was in Grand Junction, in the van.

There were a few sad times, but there were many more good times. I know we shouldn't get attached to objects, but the memories that were created in the van will always be close to my heart.

I'm thankful you are finally being blessed for all your hard work through medical school. I am thankful my grandchildren have a safe care to ride in. I am thankful that Andy loves you all so much that he wants to make your life better.

To celebrate, drive to Malley's and have a cup of fudge for me.

Ross & Stacie said...

I remember Sadee and I riding with you back from the Children's museum in Maine. I had a migraine hit pretty fast and I was soooo sick. You couldn't pull over in time and I had to lose my lunch out the window before coming to a complete stop. Not my greatest moment. BUT I mostly remember you not letting me feel bad about it. You made the van special.

Hugs! Love the new ride, it's very pretty.

Jill said...

sweet ride! i'm so glad it worked out for you guys to get it. you deserve it!

andrea said...

You TOTALLY deserve it! Don't think for a second that you don't. And this is just the beginning for you. Just stay the same awesome girl that drove that sweeeeet blue van for so many years forever ok! HAHA

I am SOOOO happy for you & very excited that you can now drive to see us :)

Summer said...

YAY!! I wish I would've known when I was talking to you the other day. Congratulations, so exciting!!! You do deserve it, and I'm sure the "upgrades" are appreciated by all (especially the automatic and double doors in the back!!!)

The Coombs Family said...

I cannot believe that the van had held on for this long...I love cars like that. Congrats on the new car. I just looked at some of your past pictures and blogs and it is so fun to see how well you are doing and what a beautiful family you guys have. I love your photography! Most I love you guys. I must admit that I shed a tear realizing that I really only know two of your four. Hopefully one day that will change. We still reminisce often about our wonderful friends the Coils. Love you guys.