Tuesday, May 5, 2009

We are now gardeners....

We have been talking for a while now about planting a mini garden, but Andy and I have no idea about any of that, so we just haven't. Saturday after Porter's game we went to Lowe's and bought wood, dirt, and some plants and just went to it. Andy built an amazing box, which conveniently he had to buy a new saw to build, and I did the planting. We planted strawberries, broccoli, tomato's, and peas. It was so fun to be outside with the kids the whole day doing something together as a family. I could not believe how much Porter helped me to till the ground and Carlee loved her little kid shovel we got her and she went to town planting flower seeds. Now that we are done with our part, I can only hope that the deer and rabbits stay away from the goods and we can get some produce.

5-5-09 056

5-5-09 057

5-5-09 063

7 comments:

Okie Bloxhams said...

Awesome! I want to plant some tomatoes. we planted 2 pear trees, and 2 bushes of raspberries and 2 bushes of blackberries! yummy.

Coil Fam said...

Way cool! It's official, you are just an ordinary American family with 3 kids, a mini van, a mortgage and a garden that will produce way more weeds and consume much more time and energy than anything else you have ever done(other than medical school). But the first time you pick a vine ripened tomato, slather it with mayo and slap it on a piece of bread with bacon, you will think it was all worth it. Congratulations!

The Orgill Family said...

Looks like you are having the same fun as we are in Utah. The garden looks great. I love working in the yard. Kinda becomes an obsession. You family is so cute.

Rachel

Lauralee said...

How fun! Garden produce sure tastes the best! I have yet to do that! Just remember peas don't like sun, tomatoes do (although sometimes not at first). Good luck.

andrea said...

Loving the pictures Shay! I miss you...I miss all of you Cleveland girls! Seeing those pictures makes me wish I could be there too :(

We haven't talked for a while...call me when you aren't too busy! We are home and looking for a house for real this time!! I don't know how else to tell you how much we miss you guys, but I am sure you know what I am talking about!

The Coombs Family said...

Congrats on the garden guys! Chase and I went out today and picked some green beans and he helped me cook them for dinner tonight. "Working" in the garden is one of my favorite things to do. Enjoy!

Erin said...

I am so jealous!! You garden sounds so yummy. Andy did a wonderful job on the planter box!