Saturday, September 17, 2011

Estrogen Day (a triathlon and Country Living Fair).....

For about nine months I have been planning on a doing a sprint triathlon with my friends Jill and Hillary, all the talk, anxiety, and gear planning is over. It was a great day, we met up early at Jill's and drove down to Akron together. I was lucky to have KayLee here from Utah so she came with me (which was awesome because she has never been to any of my races). Once we got signed in, markered on, and set up our transition area, it was time to walk down to the start. Jill and I are pretty equivalent for swim times, so were started next to each other! The swim was good, pretty tough and Jill and I kept bumping into a lady who started herself to soon (she was slower), so that was annoying. Then it was onto the bike. The course was just two laps, but mostly uphill, my legs were on fire. After I hopped off my bike I had to get into running mode. It was so cold that day, I felt like I was barely moving and frozen all over, I honestly couldn't tell if I was moving or not. The run was on gravel, a partial trail run, and thankfully it was marked clearly! It was a good experience and felt good to be doing something that I was familiar with.

I have to give special props to Jill and Hillary. Jill for sticking it out and going for it, doing something she had never done before and finishing it!! And to Hill, who does not enjoy swimming at all, who started way after me, and who passed a ton of people, only to finish a minute after me!! These girls are amazing (thanks for the motivation ladies!) Here are the tri pics....

9-23-2011 001
Me, Hillary, Jill just arriving at Portage Lakes State Park in Akron. (and yeah I am rocking my Utah sweatshirt for the Utah vs. BYU game that night, I don't need to say anymore on that.)

9-23-2011 002
Walking down to the swim.

9-23-2011 012
Waiting our turn to get in the water.

9-23-2011 033
Getting ready to get on the bike.

9-23-2011 053
Running, I think.....it was so cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9-23-2011 062
All DONE!!

9-23-2011 086
The ladies after we had all finished.

After the tri, I plugged in the gps and KayLee and I drove two hours to Columbus for the Country Living Fair. I have wanted to go to this every year since we have moved here, but haven't been able to with Andy's work schedule, but this was my last chance, so I had to make it happen. I don't know that I have ever been to a craft event quite this big, but it was wonderful. Overall it was worth going and seeing what it was all about and the food there was amazing!! But I have to say that people are crazy about what they charge for stuff, like aprons and skirts for $90, HELLO, does it automatically make you a size 2 when you put it on, yeah, I didn't think so. The thing that I left there still thinking about was a quilt kit for that they were charging $120 for, which really was a good price with everything you got, but there is no way Andy would ever understand that. Maybe one day I can track it down or do layaway or something. KayLee did buy me a blue mason jar, they are so cute and I have some flowers in it right now, oh and I bought myself a CLF t-shirt that I love.

It was a great day. I loved being with my girls and also being able to spend the day with KayLee, we always make some good memories and have good laughs (remember the lady we sat and had lunch with KayLee!!)

9-30-2011 002
The fair is at the Ohio historical society, the building there are so awesome!

9-30-2011 003
The pumpkins made me excited for fall.

9-30-2011 007
Getting ready to leave with full hands!

4 comments:

sarah.jones said...

Congratulations on completing your sprint triathlon! That's quite the accomplishment!

andrea said...

Seriously you look HOT! Who looks like that after they finish a triatholon? No one. I am so insanely proud of you, I know you have been wanting to be the girl who could do all of this for a long time, and now you are. You went for it & that's so wonderful. I really am so proud of you. I love you!

Summer said...

Can't wait to hear what you decide. I knew you were doing a half, guess I'm out of the loop on the tri. You are amazing! Love you!!

Unknown said...

Shay you are amazing! One of these years we will have to do a tri together.