Saturday, June 18, 2011

Giving credit where it is deserved....

Thursday night Andy had to attend the intern/resident graduation for the programs at his hospital. He was not planning on attending because he worked at 7a-7p and the dinner started at 7, but he was very encouraged by the ladies in the GME office, so he called me last minute and told me we needed a baby sitter. Finally at about 8 pm they started the whole program, which at the end consists of giving out awards. At this point Marin was tired and had enough so Andy took her out the door to walk her around and kill time. Just then the woman who presents the "Patience with Patients" award stood up. I had this gut feeling that Andy needed to be in the room and I started to panic and I was scanning the room trying to find him. Just then she announced his name as the recipient of the award! About 30 seconds later Andy comes into the room, Marin in arms, red in the face and in complete shock. He could not believe that he won this award, mainly because he won this same one last year!!!! It truly was an honor for him.

About 10 minutes later Dr. Below stood up to present the "Outstand Resident" award. Again, Andy had stepped out to play with Marin and to pass the time, when Dr. Brill said "well folks, tonight is going to be the Andy show as he is the recipient of this award as well". Again, I am panicking and trying to find him, and again, he walks in, Marin in his arms, with an Andy look of shock and trying not to laugh and say "REALLY" out loud.

I think what gets me about the whole thing is that Andy did not believe that he would receive an award that night, let alone two, let alone one that he had gotten before. There was no doubt in my mind that he would get an award. Andy is the hardest worker I know, never, I repeat never, taking a day off work sick, or requesting extra time, let alone, anytime off. In fact next week is the first vacation we are taking alone as a family is many years. He is so friendly and great with his patients. He is a great doctor and a very smart man.

I personally felt so lucky to be sitting next to him that night, it was hard to contain my kisses and hugs when he came back down to sit next to me.

Andy, I am so proud of you and the amazing doctor you are. I hope you have a great final year as Chief, I know you are going to do awesome!! Love you.

6-18-2011 003

2 comments:

andrea said...

A big WOO WOO for Andy, he is doing awesome.

saraa said...

pls tell him congrats from his mongolian friends.