Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Feeling like me again....

So I am going to take some time here to talk about me for a bit. For the past few months I have been on a journey to find myself again, to exercise, and to lose weight.

Being pregnant with Marin was a surprise and something I was not prepared for. I was also so sick and therefore did a lot of laying around, in turn gaining a ton of weight. I am not going to get specific with numbers here, but towards the end of my pregnancy with her I know I hit the 220's, and after that I stopped wanting to know, it was too depressing. After I had her I gave myself the time to heal, to adjust to having four children and often time doing that by myself. But eventually there comes a time where enough is enough. I realized that Andy's schedule was never going to accommodate my need for exercise and I had to do something for me or I was going to fade into a "fat depression" as I like to call it.

So I did one of the hardest things I have ever done, I walked through the doors of a Weight Watchers. Wow, I said it, I joined Weight Watchers. There is not much to say about the program except for that I love it and through the knowledge I have learned there and with the support of some great friends and Andy and even my kids I am no longer in the 190's. I have officially lost just over 20 pounds and am about 12 from my goal weight.

It is an amazing feeling to be able to fit old clothes that have been packed away in the basement for years and to be active again. Weight Watchers had a national 5K race day, you could either walk it or run it, and being that I have done a few of those in the past I knew I could do it if I just tried. It was shocking the first week of being on the treadmill, how just one minute of jogging was hard! But 6 weeks later I did it, I ran (yes, tho whole time) a 5k!! My pal Hillary, who has been through this whole thing with me, also did the race. We paced each other well and together we finished it.

I could go on forever about all the things I am learning about myself, food, other people's issue with food, exercise, etc., but really what it comes down to is that I AM DOING IT. I am no longer complaining to Andy about being fat, I am doing something about it. The other day I went for a run and did 4 miles, my next goal is a 5 miile run on the 4th of July....let their be fireworks under my shoes baby, it's on.

5-31-2011 016
Us gals that ran the race.

5-31-2011 018
Me and my pal Hillary.



On another note, the race I did also did a 1 mile fun run for kids. Porter was all for doing that so I signed him, just like I do for all the things he wants to try. I was nervous for him, I knew he had no ida how long 1 mile was. But he did it, he ran the whole thing and finished in 9 minutes!!! He is amazing.

5-31-2011 012
Here I thought he was going to walk to me and say he was done, but instead he was coming to give Carlee a high five. Also please notice the sweet Utah Ute wrist bands he got from his unlce Mike for his birthday.

5-31-2011 014
The big finish.

5-31-2011 015
Jp and Porter with their medals.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought you looked thinner in Carlee's dance pictures. Way to go Shay! That is so awesome.

Jessie Gold Price said...

Shay! I love that you are happy! I seriously look up to you so much and I'm very proud of you! Way to go sista!

Unknown said...

you are amazing! love you tons

Lauralee said...

You are awesome. You have always impressed me with the way you make goals and stick to them!

andrea said...

Awesome!! I can't even say how proud I am of you, you are DOING IT! (In an Oprah voice.)