Friday, April 24, 2009

An ICU story....

Andy brought home this certificate yesterday for "Outstanding Patient Communications" and he told me not to put it on the blog but I just had to, I am so proud of him and the doctor that he is becoming.

Andy is currently working in the ICU and surprisingly he enjoys it and as he says, he is killing off a lot of people. He tells me all of the time that there are so many people there that should be dead and often the families are not ready to let go. The story: a lady was admitted from the nursing home and she arrived at the hospital intubated and her chart had the words FULL CODE in big bold letters which mean that you do everything to save their life. A few hours later the woman's daughter called the hospital and asked to speak to the doctor taking care of her mother and she got Andy. Andy said that she was just furious and yelling and about 15 seconds later he told that she needed to just stop and listen closely to what he was going to tell her. So Andy proceeded to tell her that she arrived with FULL CODE on the chart. The daughter was upset because the mother was supposed to be a DNR, but here she is in the ICU on life support. After talking with the daughter, Andy and her came up with a plan that the mother would remain intubated until the daughter was able to get there and then they would remove the tube and wait for her to die.

The next day when Andy got to the hospital the mother (the patient) was awake and alert. As the day went on she became even more alert and Andy felt confident that if he took the tube out that she would live. So Andy called the daughter and told her how things had changed and she agreed to let Andy take the tube out.

The mother has now fully recovered and she is back in the nursing home -alive!

The daughter contacted Dr. Anonymous, the medical staff director, aka the doctor of all doctors, and told him about Andy and how well he treated them, etc. I think that means so much. I mean how many times do you say that you were happy with your medical care or customer service but never let anyone know that they were doing a good job. Because of this I am making a pact with myself that the next time I have good service or medical care I will let the person in charge know.

I am just so proud of Andy. He is doing such a good job with his residency. I do not know how he does all that he does and now to top it all off he has to study for Step 3 of the medical boards that he is taking next month.

To Andy: I am sorry for posting this, but I love you "and want to announce publicly" how much you mean to me. Keep doing what you are doing hon, you are amazing.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Andy is such a great guy! Sometimes I think he should be in a different field, like women's health because he is just so darned sensitive (and I mean that in the utmost, kindest way)!
Congratulations Dr. Coil. Keep up the good work, I know you are performing well because you follow the Lord.

Chris and Aubrey said...

Andy you were always the rational one who could talk to anyone. Example mom and dad have a pic of the only time you ever mopped the floor. Rest of the time you were able to talk your way out of it. HAHA Love ya and am so proud of you. Aubs

Coil Fam said...

Yes, Andy was always good at talking his way out of mopping the floor. I feel like I should get the most credit for him becoming a dr., because one time I told him he ABSOLUTELY was NOT going to GET OUT of mopping the floor THIS TIME. He turned to me and said he was going to ABSOLUTELY have a JOB that paid well enough for him to HIRE someone ELSE to mop the floor.

So this question is for Shay, "HOW MUCH IS HE PAYING YOU?"

Oh, and by the way, CONGRATULATIONS ANDY, on the award. I'm not surprised and I am proud of you. You are the kind of person I would want to take care of me when I get where that lady was. I love you, mom

cfmomof1 said...

Congratulations to both of you! Andy for doing a job that not many people can do. And to Shay for marrying that guy! Had fun yesterday!

http://allyjayliv.blogspot.com/

That is my blog address...

Ally

Jennifer said...

What a great story! But, it's like Andy's mom said, it's not surprising! However that makes him a great and rare doctor. You can't find many doctors, especially E.R. docs, with a wonderful bedside manner! Well done!

Jennifer said...

Oops, I meant ICU doc! My bad.