Sunday, June 15, 2014

If you fall, get back up….Porter did.

It was Helena's annual Governor's Cup Marathon, Half, 10k, and 5k this weekend.  Andy was doing the full marathon, his 2nd for the year, and Porter wanted to do the 5k.  So with Andy's amazing speedy legs, he was able to finish fast enough so that I could do the 5k with Porter.  I was already super proud of Porter for even wanting to try the 5k, but had no idea that I could be even more proud at the end of the race.  We were about 10 min into the super crowded race when Porter tripped, fell, and did a  body roll.  There were so many people, but we managed to get over to the side of the road.  Porter's knee was already bleeding and beginning to drip down his leg.  I didn't really say much to him except asking if he was okay.  I asked what he wanted to do, continue the race, or just be done.  He said he wanted to finish, so we did.  He started out hobbling along, but then started to get back into the groove of running.  Even with his major injury, and time on the side of the road assessing the injury, Porter managed to finish the race in 33 min.  I just cannot say enough how proud I was and am of him.  I loved running towards the finish line into the shoot and seeing Andy and the girls there, cheering us on, and pointing out to Andy his knee, showing Andy that he still pushed on!  It makes me so excited for Porter and doing more races with my kiddos as they get older.


IMG_4475

IMG_4476

IMG_4473

IMG_4474

No comments: